Saturday, February 21, 2009

Flu A and Flu B

I was almost sure we had escaped the flu season for once until today. I returned from the ranch with Suzanna this morning earlier than I had anticipated to take her to Urgent Care since it was Saturday. Sure enough, after the flu test, the doctor returns to tell me that Suzanna is positive for BOTH strains of the flu, A & B. The doctor then scares me with all the precautions and things to watch out for in Suzanna due to her past respiratory history. Suzanna has had RSV which almost landed her in life flight and intubated at age 2 and pneumonia more times than I can count. With both strains of the flu attacking her at once, then she will need to be monitored closely. She is on two antiviral meds, one each for both strains, which is TORTUROUS to get down her. Suzanna gags and says they taste awful. When speaking to one of my friends tonight she tells me one of the antiviral can cause night terrors and seeing things that are not real. No one shared that with me at the clinic. The boys stayed in the country since I did not want two down for the count so it is just me with Suzanna. Now I am monitoring for crazy behavior too. She has pretty much slept the day away or awaken crying since she feels so bad. So far no panic screaming or seeing pink elephants dancing in the room, so I am super hopeful we will make it through tonight. Prayers for healing and protection so the rest of us do not get it would be greatly appreciated. As a school teacher in Texas, TAKS is 7 school days away. The pressure to be with the classrooms as a Master Teacher is tremendous at this time of the year. Why testing and flu season both have to be at the same time I do not know. Off to sleep. Praying for Suzanna to have sweet dreams! The night terrors side effect scares me worse than the Flu A and B combined.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh no! Praying for a very short-lived flu for sweet Suzanna!

Brian, Steph, Jada, Kiva, and Judson said...

Sweet Suzanna...I will pray for extra peaceful sleep and quick healing.

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Poor baby! You are such a good Mommy! We will pray for no night terrors and healing! Love you!