Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Scootch , the rescued dog update

I called Woodstock , the rescue organization ,that took Scootch in for us to train him since he was way too much dog for us here at The Borchgardt House. After speaking with them at length I can compare Scootch's training to that of a Behavior Adjustment Class. Scootch would certainly qualify as a free spirited , adventurous , high energy, never stop dog having some pretty complicated issues with classic dominant alpha personality type . It made since as when Scootch was sick and still healing , he was calmer and easier to manage, but as he healed he became more dog becoming extremely protective of all of us as if we were "his pack" instead of him being in ours. He would jump on the trampoline and attempt to jump our privacy fence. He wanted to be in everything we did and to chase a scent was heavenly. He even drug Doyle off the bike if you recall.

Woodstock is sill working with Scootch after almost 3 months and still see him needing more training. He needs structure and he needs an Alpha. I would myself would have to get some training to be the Pack Leader. Throw in 3 cats, Cowboy and two kids and you know I am not sure how much energy and time I have "Pack Leading!" Many days I am doing good just to chase after the pack, much less LEAD the pack!

When Blaine asked when Scootch was returning after listening in on my telephone conversation, I told him I was unsure if Scootch would be able to return to us. We just may not be the right home for him. With that Blaine got tears in his eyes which quietly silently streaked down his cheeks as he looked up at me with the saddest eyes and said, "Mom, I love Scootch and he is my dog that I found!" I had to explain to Blaine that sometimes loving did not mean keeping for yourself if that would not be the best thing. I explained that loving Scootch meant finding him the home he needed to be happy, healthy and behaved . Loving Scootch might mean letting him go, so he could be in the best place even though it would hurt us for a little while to see him go. Blaine still with brave tears falling down his face said, " I think we are the best place, but if we are not then I want to go tell him goodbye."

Blaine bonded with Scootch immediately when he found him injured and he in part is the reason Doyle of all people, rescued Scootch. In some ways I can see how Scootch and Blaine would be kindred spirits if a dog and a child could even be =) as they both are free spirited, high energy and do not want to be "tamed" as their charismatic spirits are something that can not be broken out of them no matter how much specialized training you give. So, I sit pondering what to do?? What to do? Although I think loving Scootch might mean letting him go for us since the reality is we are all chasing our tails on many wild and woolly days, but Blaine's love and bond is real . We will see where this takes us. I told Doyle we needed to move to several acres now to operate the new found rescue organization. He just looked at me like " Oh Sara, please no!" I don"t think rescue work is something Doyle wants to entertain knowing the bills that go with them after Cowboy, Angel, Destiny and Scootch .

P.S. Woodstock is a great a great rescue organization!!! If you see them at PetCo on Saturdays in College Station or out at adoptions, tell them Thanks for Scootch!

No comments: