Monday, October 27, 2008

Temptation, Horseback Riding, Treasures

Tonight Blaine decided to take a bath in Doyle and I's large tub in order to soak while the jets were on to help him feel better. The Borchgardt House has been down for an entire week with the stomach bug , so Blaine felt a hot soak in our jacuzzi would ease his pain. After about 20 minutes, out comes Blaine with blood running down his leg looking a bit confused. Doyle doctors him up as Blaine proceeds to tell of his unfortunate accident in slipping right out of the tub, scraping his leg and now which is now left injured and bleeding. Doyle can't seem to see how the type of cut matches the wild story of slipping, sliding , falling and now bleeding on the way out of the bath, but places the band aid on without much thought.

In comes Blaine to see me. As he shares his story he says, " And Mom, it also took all my hair off!" And so, I now put two and two together to discover Blaine saw my pink razor on the edge of the tub and decided to see exactly how the razor worked by experimenting on his own leg. I said, " Blaine, you used my razor?" He denied it. He denied it again. And again. Then he said, " Mom, okay, I was curious. I wanted to see. You should not leave your razor on the tub. It is too tempting!" First I thought, "With words such as curious and tempting, Wow,! We are getting quite an extensive vocabulary for a Third Grader, but then I saw the spiritual lesson illustrated beautifully for Blaine.

I shared with Blaine how he was curious and tempted, but what had he been instructed regarding the use of a razor? He knew all the right things to say, fully aware that razors cut, but that not enough for Blaine. I shared with Blaine how God in his word has shared with us many cautions to keep us from hurting ourselves. God knows the consequences of being tempted can lead to hurtful situations. Each day we can either choose to be tempted or curious and ultimately end up hurt ....just like he did tonight by the use of the razor or we can chose to trust God and then avoid the consequences., but always knowing we have grace.
He looked at me and said, " Mom , just hide the razors!"

Blaine is my little one who will have to see, touch, feel, experience and live life fully for himself. Evidenced by his inappropriate use of the razor. Blaine is IN every moment. And with that comes a many of life lessons along the way. I pray daily for the Holy Spirit to prompt his heart with things that are of God knowing God has created Blaine for such a great purpose.

Sister Sue =) has taken up horseback riding. She rode bareback last week and is a complete natural on a horse. Suzanna almost becomes one with the horse which reminds me of rides with our horse Katy at the ranch when I was growing up. Well, Doyle took her tonight to buy her a pair of riding boots, helmet and riding jeans. HE was SO proud of Suzanna for her gift of riding. Doyle used to team rope with his horses and rodeo with the horses. He told me tonight, ' Well, if Suzanna is going to ride, I better get back in the saddle as well!" Here we go..............

We have been sick for a week, but I think almost I needed a week just to recenter and regroup.Work has been 12 - 14 hour days. I feel like we are almost all back on solid footing after the 9 weeks with Dad's illness and then death. There is not a day I do not think of him. Wisdom he offered or shared. Memories from childhood with Dad. Things he would say to me regarding the children. Now that he is gone, those memories are treasures. True treasures. What I have learned is while we were making those memories I had not idea that they would become treasures tucked in my heart for the rest of my life here on this earth. I can not make more memories with dad. That opportunity is gone. What a lesson to love completely and fully and to cherish. Cherish, cherish, cherish.

No comments: